On Monday, Rear Admiral Ikechukwu Ogalla was appointed the new Chief of Naval Staff.
Ogalla’s appointment came following the removal of Service Chiefs by President Bola Tinubu on Monday.
He replaces Rear Admiral Awwal Gambo, who was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in January 2021.
Here are some things you need to know about the new Chief of Naval Staff.
1. Ogalla was born on December 20, 1968, in Enugu Ezike, Igbo Eze North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
2. He is a member of the 39 RC NDA, graduated with a BSc in Mathematics and was awarded the Sword of Honour as the best naval cadet in his course.
3. Ogalla was commissioned S Lt on September 16, 1992, and rose to the rank of R Adm wef on September 16, 21.
4. The senior officer completed the STC NNS QUORRA, Basic Hydrography National Hydrographic School India in May 2000, and Junior and Senior Staff Courses AFCSC Jaji on November 1 and July 6, respectively.
5. He participated in NDC Course 22 and was awarded fdc on August 14.
6. Ogalla served onboard many ships, including NNS AMBE, ARADU, LANA, EKUN, AGU, QUORRA, BEECROFT, DELTA and PATHFINDER.
7. He took part in the ECOMOG Operations in Liberia in 1996 while on board NNS EKUN.
8. Ogalle served as Instructor, CI and Comdt NNHS, SO 1 Survey and DD Instruments NNHO, ADCP, DD Hydro and DPR NHQ, as well as DS/ DARAS NDC and D Audit NASS NHQ.
9. The senior officer, who is decorated with FSS, MSS, DSS and GSS, is a member of the Nigerian Hydrographic Society, Nigerian Institute of Management, the International Earth Rotation Services and also a fellow of the Occupational Safety and Health Association of the UK.
10. Ogalla is married to Mrs Ijeoma Ogalla, and the marriage is blessed with two children.